Tuesday, July 9, 2024

David's Spouse Visa

 I though I would do an FAQ with David regarding his spouse visa in case anyone was wondering how that works.


Are you limited in the type of job you can get?

You can get any job including being self-employed.

How does the NHS system work?

Taxes pay for the NHS, which pays for the whole healthcare system. It's not much different than the US except it's already paid for. You do still pay about $2.50 for prescriptions though.

Can you vote?

No, I cannot vote.

How long before you renew your requirement?

I have two years and six months on this visa, I'll have to renew after this one is spent. After that one I can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. After 10 years total in the UK I can apply for citizenship.

Are you considered an immigrant?

Yes, I am an immigrant.

Do you file taxes in both the US and UK?

I have to file US taxes, usually you don't owe anything unless you make quite a bit. UK taxes are filed automatically.

Is it your plan to stay over there indefinitely or do you two plan to come back here eventually?

For now, we're gonna be here indefinitely. That might change in 10 years. We'll just wait and see.

Well, there you go! If you have any other questions for David or Charlotte post in the comments.

love, 

Mom

2 comments:

Luke & Hailey said...

What has surprised you the most since moving to the UK? And for Charlotte: what surprised you when visiting the US?

Dave said...

Aside from the fact that I can't find microwavable buttered popcorn anywhere, the thing that surprised me was how compact most everything is. The roads are very narrow. They value their space. And just about every town is built for pedestrians.

Charlotte says:
This is something US and Canada have in common and it still surprises me is that you guys don’t trust the tape water or it’s really poor quality.
In Canada where I stayed the water came out yellow sometimes cos of the sediment in the pipes
More food variety and flavours, I feel ours are very limited sometimes
Like those microwavable breakfast burritos I had over in Texas, won’t find that in Tesco.
And a lot of people complain about American food but I think it’s quite nice.

State Park, Lewes Castle and Books

 Hello Everyone! Dad and I enjoy visiting State Parks. In Florida there are currently 175, we have visited 20, ha ha! Here's some pics f...